Thursday, March 26, 2015

Family Vacation

Driving to the Condo

After rushing to the airport we collapsed into our seats, thoroughly enjoyed the flight to Atlanta and then on to Ft Myers. Renting a car at 12:30 am is not the best option. We were given two cars from which to choose. The car was nice but I thought that it would be bigger.
\
Traveling is so much easier with the GPS phone app. I remember getting lost so many times driving from the airport to my destination. We did make a couple of wrong turns. The roads on the island are not easy to follow. That from someone who learned to deal with an intersection that brought together South Commerce, East Commerce and Commerce and the driver who is on Commerce still has to make a left had turn to stay on Commerce. Are you confused, that is my point. Anyway we finally found the condo and were given a hero's welcome by my children.

The Beach

The condo my mom rented was within 50 yds of the beach but our travel guide (a.k.a. Sarah) had plans for us for the first two days. We traveled up the island so Sarah and and Abby could go on a boat to a nearby island to snorkel. The next day we took them to rent kayaks. While they did their outdoorys stuff we laid around on nearby beaches and enjoyed the sun. Inara entertained herself with whatever was handy. Occasionally we would take her to the water and she would walk in the surf. She never seemed to have a preference for either water or sand nor an aversion.

Carol enjoyed searching for sea shells. We came back with boxes of shells. She plans on making many sea shell craft projects.

The only weakness that I saw on Sanibel Island was the type of sand. It is a grayish color, very fine grain, and very moist. It is very difficult to clean out of shoes, socks, between toes. We had sand in our suitcase when we arrived home.

Inara

About the third day Inara came into my room before I got of bed. I think she was sent to wake me up. To entertain her I pulled out my computer and connected to YouTube and played my Joan Baez videos. She enjoyed them bobbing and weaving to the tunes. From then on she rushed into my room and either pounded on my laptop or the bed to indicate that she wanted to hear the tunes. Baez has a very lovely song entitled Jerusalem.

The last few days were spent relaxing on the beach. We avoided sunburn, gathered lots of sea shells, and enjoyed our family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment