Tuesday, February 24, 2015

January 2015 - Surgery

Surgery and Hospitalization

The last week of January was a busy week. I had to prepare for a surgery, 3-4 day hospital stay and recovery. I was fortunate that Pastor Clint Cozier was free to fill the pulpit and address any emergencies. Clint preached for me during my Sabbatical several years ago. He is a gifted preacher and I always learn things from him.

The most common question people ask is "How are you feeling?" I am feel strong and confident facing this surgery. The surgeon is young but obviously quite qualified, very confident, almost cocky but I like him.

All my previous hospital stays were very positive experiences. I always wondered why people would complain about them. You are the center of attention and people wait on you hand and foot. You can watch any TV you want to without feeling guilt for not doing chores. People come and visit you, send cards and call you on the phone. Even for an introvert this is enjoyable.

Post Surgery

My attitude toward hospital stays has changed dramatically. I came out of surgery and they put me in post-op. Carol claims, I have no recollection of this, that a nurse put a switch in my hand and told me to press it every 6 min for pain. Gee, I wish someone would have told me to bring a timer to surgery. She tired but was obviously late a few times so I fell behind on my pain management. The first memory I have of post surgery is in my hospital room. I am being pick up off the gurney, oh the pain is starting, lifted two feet off the hospital bed and dropped. Ok, maybe it was not that high but it sure felt like that.

After the above fiasco, I fell into a drugged stupor. The rest of the day the only friend in the room was the little red button. After several requests the nurse upped my pain meds. I would not give this group an A in pain management the first two days.

Delaton is a weird pain med. I did not hallucinate like I did when I was on morphine during my first stem cell transplant but I did forget a doing a few things.

5 comments:

  1. John - I just learned of this from your Facebook page. Prayers for you and those who love you - Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, I guess my first message didn't go through. I am sorry that it has taken this to get me to communicate with you. It has been a long time since high school, but I remember friendship and fun. Linda and I wish you and your family only the best. Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy & Randy StephensFebruary 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM

    Randy and I are praying for you and Carol. May God's loving, healing power fill you.
    I am so blest to have you in my life. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you are going through this, but trusting God for your well being. Will pray for you John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John--thanks for posting your blog address on facebook. Praying that the first chemo went okay...eager to hear. Much love to you and Carol. MJ

    ReplyDelete