Thursday, February 26, 2015

February 26 - Chemo Begins

First Day of Chemicals

Ok, I am going to skip ahead and share what has been happening this week.

When I was first diagnosed with lymphoma the oncologist told me that his goal was not to cure me because there was no cure for my cancer. His goal was to keep me alive long enough till someone adopted a cure. Well, it has been 21 years since then and much has changed.

The pathologist identified the cancer as diffused, large B-cell lymphoma. The approved treatment is R-EPOCH. It stands for rituximab, etoposide, prednisone, vincristine (Oncovin) and doxorubicin hydrochloride (hydroxydaunorubicin hycrochloride). Monday begins with rituximab. It is one harsh drug. It takes almost 5 hours because of the slow drip and the prep is incredible. Tylenol and benadryl(IV) begins the process then a very slow drip.

Ironically, the benadryl was the med that hit me the hardest. I ached all over for hours.  I could not get comfortable. I wanted to sleep but hurt too much. The only comfortable position was sitting in the chair with my head between my legs. My nurse finally gave me some morphine and that put me to sleep. I woke up when my oncologist touched me on the shoulder. Suddenly I felt better. I told him that if he needed a witness of him performing a miracle for his approval toward beautification on the way to sainthood to let me know. He laughed.

I also started Revlimid making my actual treatment R2-EPOCH. All I will say at this point is that it is an experimental drug. I will be posting some things about this and how I am able to take it latter. That required an act of God, because of the Pharisaical policies of the Board of Pensions.

The Bag and Pump

During my first treatment all the chemicals were delivered by an iV push. One sitting, one long drip. With my cancer the MDs have discovered that a continuous drip is better. So after the rituximab finished I was hooked up to another bag of chemicals etoposide, vincristine (Oncovin) and doxorubicin and a pump. I am like a car hooked up to a gas pump. The pump moves about .1-.2 ml of chemo into me every few seconds. It is rather quiet but I had to adjust to the constant noise.

The real challenge is showering. I cannot detached from "the pump." We used Peel and Seal to cover the port that I have in my shoulder. (I have not mentioned this because I jumped ahead) and some tape. It is cumbersome.

I am typing this on Thursday evening. The Cavs just beat Golden State so I am in a good mood. I have an appointment with a neurologist who monitors my neuropathy from the first chemo and a final session of chemo and will be liberated from the "pump" for the two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, John. YUK...miserable day. Glad you're getting the "right stuff". Prayers continue. MJ

    ReplyDelete